Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Growing Up

So I haven't posted since last week and several interesting things have happened and some have not. First, my weekend was great. It was very relaxing and well deserved. Judd and I went to the beach on Sunday and hung out in the pool with my niece and then everyone came over for a cook out to "end the summer".

The kids started school Monday. It was chaotic that morning to say the least. 6 people in one house with 2 bathrooms trying to get out the door is crazy. If it were my house we'd have a bathroom schedule and it would be way more organized, but I can't complain since my brother lets me stay there whenever for free. Yesterday I got the sweetest message on Facebook from a girl I used to babysit in high school. She is now 18 and starting her first semester at FSU! GO NOLES! I can't believe it! She said that ever since the 5th grade she has wanted to go to FSU because of me and she always tried to do her best in school to be like me. I cried. I never realized how much I had influenced her. I guess sometimes you leave people and you don't think you've made much of any impact, but when you realize you had its incredible. She is going into her third day of Rush. I never rushed a sorority. I was a legacy for several and my parents met at a fraternity party (my dad was Vice President of Lambda Chi at FSU and mom was a sister of Alpha Chi Omega), but financial issues in my family didn't allow me to participate. I wish that they would make it affordable to anyone, especially if they are a legacy. Back then I just said I didn't want to pay for my friends, but I knew there was more to the Greek life then that. Looking back, I regret not being a part of it. I also got a friend invite from her sister who is going into her Senior year in high school. She is super involved with school and has even gotten her toes into some international modeling. Pretty exciting for a young 17 year old girl I am sure. See some of her pics below.

On another note, I am still waiting to move into my condo. It is frustrating because I am spending so much in gas and I feel like a nomad. I am constantly going back and forth from my parents in New Port Richey to my brothers in St. Petersburg. But, that is all about to end because the BF is having to move out on Friday because my brother said he needs his room back. It looks like the BF will be moving in with me to my parents temporarily. For someone who wanted to sell this condo it is taking a really long time. I know my parents are doing everything they can and I am not angry with them, I am just frustrated with the whole situation. The BF and I are trying to save as much as we can so that we can afford all the set up fees associated with our new place, new furniture, paint and other supplies...its expensive. So I have decided to try and pick up a seasonal job at Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream. I have an audition for an Entertainment II position so I think I may be a zombie or something. Whatever, at least it will be fun, last for only a month, and allow me to make some money while scaring some people haha.

Last night I went over to my brothers and helped my sister-in-law with the kids. I helped Haylee with her homework and we read for 15 minutes. She read to me Judy Moody. Sounded like a cute book. I am worried about Haylee though. She is having some trouble reading. I think she should be much further along then she is. I feel like she doesn't get as much attention as she should so she doesn't care. I've noticed that my nephew gets a lot more attention and gets away with a lot while she desperately wants attention and will do anything to please you. I would never tell my brother or sister-in-law how to parent, mostly because I am not even one so who am I to say, but I do think there are some areas that they need to work on with their kids. All I know is that my parenting style will be very different, very involved, and very educational. I want my children to know culture like my parents taught me. I want them to be respectful, kind, and thoughtful to their elders. I want them to have manners and know how to speak to people regardless of the situation. I want them to be exposed to only what they should be exposed to for their age range. No child should have a television or a computer in their room until they are older is how I feel. You cannot possibly tell me you monitor everything they are looking at, looking up, or seeing. Kids should be kids. Like how it was when I was a child. We were told to go and play and not come home until supper. We'd climb trees, build forts, play in the creek, get dirty, whatever as long as we weren't wasting the day playing video games and watching t.v. my parents encouraged it.What happened to that? Where did this generations parents go wrong? Are they too busy trying to be their friend rather then their parent? Are they too busy in general so they buy things to occupy their kids time so they don't have to spend as much time with them? I'm not sure, but call me old fashioned I'll be damned if my child grows up that way. Anyways, live and love.
                                                                                         Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment